First-Time Setup for MFA Verification
To help keep your University of Lincoln account secure, all University of Lincoln user accounts use Multi-Factor Authentication.
Multi-Factor Authentication is a system which requires you to prove your identity through a second verification method when logging in.
Follow the steps below to set up the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device for use with Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Sign in on a PC, laptop or a device with a web browser (not the mobile device you want to use for authentication) using your University email and password, and visit a web page that requires your University login (for example, 365.lincoln.ac.uk).
- If this is your first sign-in, the screen below will appear. The default verification method is the Microsoft Authenticator App. We strongly recommend using the Microsoft Authenticator App as your main verification method:
- Click the “Download now” link to download and set up the Microsoft Authenticator App to your mobile device. (You can also download it from the Android or Apple app stores).
- Once the App is installed on your mobile device, click “Next”.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the computer, then scan the QR code when asked to link the app to your University account:
- Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions until the process is complete.
The Microsoft Authenticator App is now ready to use – ensure you have notifications switched on for the app on your mobile device. Now you have a primary authentication method set up, we recommend setting up a second verification method as a backup. Follow the steps below to set up a second method.
Setting up more Verification Methods
We recommend setting up at least two different verification methods.
- Once you have set up the Microsoft Authenticator App, login at lncn.ac/mwamicrosoft
- Select “Security Info”. Here, you can check your existing verification methods and add new ones.
- Click on “+ Add sign-in method”.
- Choose a method from the drop-down menu (Alternative Phone is recommended).
- Follow the instructions for your chosen method and it will be added to your list of sign-in methods.
Please Note: If chosen as a method, your email address and security questions will only be used for Self-Service Password Resets – not Multi-Factor Authentication. Please remember to keep your verification methods and other security info up-to-date to ensure you don’t lose access or the ability to use our Self-Service Password Reset system.
Benefits to using the Microsoft Authenticator App
- Faster sign-in process using one touch control – no more typing in codes!
- More secure sign-in with FaceID, TouchID and compatible biometrics on your mobile device.
- Works even when you are not connected to the internet or mobile data.
- Can be used with multiple logins and services – not just the University of Lincoln.
Did you know? If you already have an authenticator app on your device (including Microsoft or Google) you can simply add your University settings and use it without having to install any new apps!